Various uses for an eyebolt
Whenever you have any job to do, it is necessary to ensure that you have the correct tools and fittings to do it. This will make the job much easier and safer for you. This becomes all the more important in hardware related jobs, because an improper repair can end up causing further damage and even be dangerous to human life.
An important fitting which is used to attach shade sails to supporting posts is the eyebolt. In simple words it can be said that the eyebolt is screw containing a looped end to which a cable can be fastened. This allows them to be used for hanging a number of items from a wall, post or ceiling. They are of various types and are used for various purposes according to their construction and extent of durability.
There are two main methods to classify an eyebolt. The first is on the basis of their threading and the second is on the basis of their construction. On the basis of their threading, these can be divided into two varieties:
- Machine Screw Threading (useful for angular loads of up to 45 degrees)
- Wood Screw Threading (more useful for light duty applications)
On the basis of their construction, these can be classified as:
- Forged (useful for high loads equal to the tensile strength of the material used)
- Bent Eye (useful for only light duty applications)
As you can see that according to their classifications, an eyebolt can be used for many different functions. Some of the main functions that they are used for are:
- In homes, they are used for simple activities, such as hanging a painting on a wall.
- In an industrial setting, the sturdier varieties can be used for various uses such as lifting and tensioning. For these functions, the larger varieties of eyebolts are used.
- The machine screw threaded varieties show great application in the angular lifting of weights.
- Welded stainless steel eyebolts are very useful for harsher climates as the welding allows them to be used for heavy duty purposes. They can also be safely used in outdoor and wet environments.
- Another of their uses is the ability to be galvanized, so that they can be modified for any sort of usage depending on the environment you are working in.
In the end, you can see that there are various types of eyebolt, each of them having their own specific benefits and usage. It is necessary to choose the correct type of tool to complete your job in the best way possible. For outdoor applications a stainless steel eyebolt is the preferred option as it will last longer and be more reliable. Especially in environments close to the sea where the steel will be subjected to the salt air.